Thursday 23 April 2009

My Carbon Footprint

Footprints are caused by everyone and I used an online web site to measure my own footprint. This site basically asked me a few questions about what I eat and how I travel and for how long. After that it shows the statistics of the result and shows the rate of the footprint.

Since everyone lives differently it is obvious that there would be a difference in the footprint. Compared to my classmates I have a low footprint rate because of the life style we live. I don’t usually travel or drive my car for a long time which made my footprint rate lower than others. My footprint is at 8.36 tonnes of carbon per annum and that’s as if I live in 2.27 planets while the average of my classmates’ carbon footprint is about 3 to 3.5 planets. My figures for food, travel, home and stuff were 30%, 10%, 27% and 33% respectively but I think my travel rate will go up in the coming years when I will have to go out more often which will raise my carbon footprint.

We could and we should work on lowering our footprints because we only have one planet and we must keep it clean and protected. I think if everyone uses buses instead of cars to travel around or uses electronic vehicles and equipment instead of gas, oil or wood it would help to reduce the carbon footprint. If people just change their life style to a healthier style, not only it would save our planet and the new generations it will also keep them refreshed and healthy.

Reference: Carbon Footprint Calculator http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/

No comments: